Jump Main Menu. Go directly to the main content (Acces key S)

  1. You are in:
  2. Home
  3. History
  4. Brief History

Inicio del Menú Secundario

Fin del Menú Secundario

EDPENERGIABrief History

Early years

Two companies were founded, Sociedad Alegre y Polo in Oviedo and Compañía Menéndez Valdés in Gijón in 1858 and 1870 respectively.

The corporate purpose of both companies was to produce and expand the use of gas for public lighting using fired retort furnaces. In 1900, they became "Popular Ovetense" and "Popular de Gas y Electricidad".

1910 - 1920

In March 1913, Policarpo Herrero y Vázquez, José Tartiere Lenegre and Narciso Hernández Vaquero y Franco, reached an agreement with Ignacio Herrero de Collantes, Marquis of Aledo, Martín González del Valle and Fernández Miranda, Marquis of La Vega de Anzo, Celestino García López, José Gonzáles Herrero and Benito Collera y Duyos, to found Sociedad Civil Privada de Saltos de Agua de Somiedo, a private partnership, with the aim of exploiting the water from the local lakes and rivers, which they had been studying since 1907.

In April 1914, the Saltos de Agua de Somiedo board decided to sell the power being produced and Narciso Hernández Vaquero y Franco headed the negotiations with Sociedad Popular Ovetense, a company founded in 1898, to enter into a power supply contract. Policarpo Herrero Vázquez also tried to interest the distributor in the Somiedo plant. The power supply contract and share swap was approved by the Board on 16 April 1914. Between two hundred and four hundred par shares were exchanged so that the limited company, Sociedad Saltos de Somiedo, could be founded.

On 25 October 1919, the Board met in Oviedo to try to convert the company into a limited one, "as they had begun to operate the first part of the plant and had therefore reaped the benefits of the Act of 2 March 1917 on the protection of new industries". An agreement was reached that the private partnership, Sociedad Civil Privada de Saltos de agua de Somiedo, would continue to exist as such until 31 December 1919 and that the limited company, called Hidroeléctrica del Cantábrico – Saltos de Agua de Sociedad, would come into being on 1 January 1920.

On 23 November 1919, Policarpo Herrero Vázquez and Narciso Hernández Vaquero y Franco met with representatives of Sociedad Electra Asturiana, founded in Oviedo in 1899 and whose chairman was Martin González del Valle y Fernández Miranda, Marquis of La Vega de Anzo, and representatives of Sociedad Popular Ovetense, to buy all the assets and rights of Sociedad Electra Asturiana for three million pesetas. Sociedad Popular Ovetense was to pay two million pesetas for the power plan, networks and contracts in Oviedo. Saltos de Agua de Somiedo would pay the other million for the Las Caldas plant and the power line to Oviedo.

Sociedad Civil Privada Saltos de Agua de Sociedad was dissolved on 1 January 1920, when the limited company Hidroélectrica del Cantábrico – Saltos de Agua de Somiedo was founded, as duly recorded in the minutes of the generate meeting of the founding partners of the former. Policarpo Herrero Vázquez, Ignacio Herrero de Collante, Martín González del Valle y Fernández Miranda, Celestino García López, Benito Collera and Narciso Hernández Vaquero y Franco were present at the meeting. The share capital would be 10 million pesetas divided into 20,000 shares each worth 500 pesetas and 6 million pesetas in 10,000 five-hundred peseta bonds.

1960 - 1980

Production of "city gas" began in 1965. It was pThe origin of the EDP NATURGAS ENERGÍA transmission business dates back to 2003 when the public company Naturcorp was set up by four gas companies that distributed natural gas in the Basque Country: Bilbogas, Gasnalsa, Donostigas and Gas de Euskadi."roduced by "thermal cracking" of light petrol (producing gas by heating petrol).

In 1978, the plan was unveiled to build two urban plants to produce and supply propane air.

The concessions to supply propane air to Gijón and Oviedo were obtained in 1979 and 1980, respectively. Both plants started operating in 1984.

1981 - 1990

On 23 July 1985, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Minter and the different regional companies to develop the natural gas piped into Spain. The total sales for that year of gas manufactured in the Principality of Asturias stood at 26 million therms.

1986. The gasification plan to introduce natural gas into the Principality of Asturias was approved.

1987. HidroCantábrico Gas de Asturias was founded. This subsidiary was 100% owned by HidroCantábrico, with a share capital of 10,000,000 pesetas. Its corporate purpose was to promote sales of natural gas in the Principality of Asturias.

HidroCantábrico Gas de Asturias, in conjunction with the Italian company Italgas, began to convert domestic installations to natural gas.

In 1989, work to convert the existing installations was completed and Oviedo and Gijón began to use natural gas. The propane air plants would then be closed and the company would embark on the natural gas expansion process, thanks to its excellent quality and the elimination of production restriction at the facilities, which had been necessary for the earlier processes. In November of that same year, natural gas arrived to the Principality with the completion of the Burgos-Cantabria-Asturias gas pipeline built by ENAGAS.

1990 was the first year that natural gas services were provided to all the customers, HidroCantábrico Gas de Asturias had endeavoured to invest to expand its facilities to ensure all the municipalities of the Principality were served.

2000 - to the present

The origin of the EDP NATURGAS ENERGÍA transmission business dates back to 2003 when the public company Naturcorp was set up by four gas companies that distributed natural gas in the Basque Country: Bilbogas, Gasnalsa, Donostigas and Gas de Euskadi."

“The Basque Government held a call to tender that resulted in the shareholding majority of Naturcorp being sold to Hidrocantábrico at that time.

In 2004, EDP attained a 95% stake of what is now the group in Spain.