Jump Main Menu. Go directly to the main content (Acces key S)

  1. You are in:
  2. Home
  3. History
  4. First Facilities

Inicio del Menú Secundario

Fin del Menú Secundario

EDPENERGIAFirst Facilities

La Malva Plant

El Salto de La Malva

The first hydro-electric power generating plant went into operation in 1917 and belonged to the company Saltos de Agua de Somiedo. It consisted of a water intake from the El Valle River, an outlet channel to the Sousas River, the power plant, the power line to Oviedo and Gijón and the sub-station in Oviedo.

In 1920, it was expanded, with construction on the Somiedo lakes, a channel from the Arroyo de la Braña and another from the River Saliencia. In 1921, a new transformer was built at the Cueva de la Malva plant. The building work ended in 1940. In 1951, production had reached 44,027 MWh.

La Riera Plant

El Salto de La Riera

This plant complements the La Malva plant, taking water from the Somiedo and Saliencia rivers. The water is held back by two dams, built about 200 metres from the outlet of the La Malva plant.

Work on the plant began in 1930, with the tunnel to channel the river water, but stopped in February 1933. The explanation for this was a drop in power consumption that began in 1931.

In 1940, work started again as a rise in the demand for power was expected. On 30th January,1946, the first generator went into operation and the second on 19th March. The third generator, which was intended as back-up, was tested in September but by the end of the year it was still not operating due to defects in the alternator, although it can be said that work on the plant had finished.

Priañes Plant

El Salto de Priañes

This plant is located within the borders of Oviedo municipality. It has two dams, one on the River Nalón to transfer its waters to the River Nora and the other on the Nora to channel the water from both rivers to the dam.

Work on the plant began in April 1945 and it was intended to have it operational by 1948. However, this plan did not work out because of difficulties in getting machinery and the restrictions placed on imports.

In 1948, there was a plan to finish the construction work, leaving only the assembly of the machinery. Because of problems with import permits, the pace of building slowed down. The work was not finished until 31st March, 1953, when 10,600 KW were added to the company's production capacity.

In the sixties, the plant was expanded and in July 1967 it was linked up to the Priañes II grid.